Tooth erosion is inevitable for some, but you can help prevent it as much as possible. For some people, tooth erosion can cause severe discomfort, for others, none at all. But for everyone, taking steps to prevent tooth erosion is important! Because tooth erosion is something that everyone goes through at least once in their lifetime, here are ways you can prevent erosion from starting in the first place.
- Rinse out your mouth with water after eating or drinking food or beverages that are acidic.
- After eating acidic foods, it’s important to wait at least an hour before brushing your teeth. This is so that your teeth have a chance to remineralize the enamel after exposure to the acidic properties.
- Try using a straw when drinking sweet drinks, such as fruit juices or carbonated beverages. Using a straw can enable the liquid to avoid hitting the teeth all together.
- Avoid swishing acidic foods and drinks in your mouth.
- If you chew gum, choose a flavor that is sugar-free. Not only will this help to reduce your chances of having a dry mouth, but it’ll allow your teeth to remineralize with natural saliva.
- Soft toothbrushes are often overlooked because many believe the harder the bristles of the brush, the better it’ll clean your teeth. This couldn’t be farther from the truth! If you have soft enamel, a soft brush is best.
- Start using a toothpaste that has fluoride as a main ingredient. This can help if you are suffering from tooth sensitivity.
We hope that you can decrease your chances of suffering from tooth erosion with our easy tips. Give our family dentistry team a call today to schedule your cleaning in Woburn!