Gingivitis is a condition that we treat in Woburn at Drs. Coakley & Trainor Dental Care. Gingivitis is more common than many realize, and more often than not, someone who has gingivitis has no idea! The symptoms many feel with gingivitis are ignored, which then leads them to suffer with full blown gum disease that has connections to other diseases and conditions such as stroke and heart disease. Because gingivitis progresses relatively fast, we want to give you some of the symptoms. After all, gingivitis is curable before it reaches form of gum disease.
Early warning signs of gingivitis include:
- Inflamed, red and puffy gums
- Bleeding gums after flossing and brushing
- Bad breathe
Causes of gingivitis may be the result of:
- Tobacco use
- Oral contraceptives or pregnancy
- Teeth that are overlapping or crooked
- Medications with gingival enlargement and xerostomia side effects
- Improper or infrequent flossing and brushing
- Trapped plaque that hasn’t been removed–Plaque tends to hide around orthodontic bands and brackets and around wisdom teeth.
- Conditions such as diabetes
There are many early warning signs of gingivitis, which is why you need to be sure that you’re checking in with your dental care provider more often than not in Woburn. You may be thinking that bleeding gums and bad breathe are easy and reversible things, but the fact of the matter is that once gingivitis takes a solid step further, it’ll become periodontitis. Periodontitis is not reversible! Stop the bad before it starts and contact a dentist near you today!